○Reading Skills in English IA
- The goal of this course is to help students become better readers in English. The course will focus on building comprehension skills through “intensive reading” and analysis of short passages of text from the textbook. It will also assist students in building reading fluency by means of “extensive reading” of longer passages from graded readers.
- Students who have successfully completed high school level English classes.
- Students will practice reading skills such as identifying the main topic of a text, understanding the gist of the text, making inferences about the writer's thoughts, and finding detailed points relevant to the writer’s topic. Scanning and skimming will also be practiced with the goal of increasing reading fluency. Vocabulary building is an important part of this course.
- Short passages from the textbook will be read and discussed in small groups. Students may be asked to make short presentations on topics occurring in the text and will be encouraged to offer their thoughts on the topics being discussed.
Week 1 – Introduction to the course
Week 2 – Unit 1
Week 3 – Unit 1
Week 4 – Review and quiz
Week 5 – Unit 2
Week 6 – Unit 2
Week 7 – Review and quiz
Week 8 – Unit 3
Week 9 – Unit 3
Week 10 – Review and quiz
Week 11 – Unit 4
Week 12 – Unit 4
Week 13 – Unit 5
Week 14 – Unit 5
Week 15 – Final quiz
- Grading will be based on five main elements:
1) participation/attendance/attitude - 30%
2) extensive reading homework - 20%
3) vocabulary notebooks - 10%
4) regular quizzes - 15%
5) one end-of-term test - 25%
- Zimmerman, C. (2012). Inside Reading 1, 2nd edition. Oxford University Press.
- By appointment.
Copyright(c)2015 Kogakuin University. All Rights Reserved.